Monday, May 23, 2016

A Memorial Day Tribute - Eugene H Kessler, Pvt. Co.C,377th Infantry Regiment, 95th "Victory" Infantry Division

As the baby of the family, it is fitting that I be the last to create a blog page.  Both of my brothers have been doing blogs for a while now, so I guess it is my turn.  I'm not a "writer" by any means.  My education and degree is in science, not the arts.  I am not a journalist or diarist.  I seldom write my thoughts or my experiences, but with Memorial Day just around the corner, I thought that I would pay tribute to a man I have only gotten to know recently, posthumously.

Typically, over the Memorial Day holiday, I change my profile picture to honor my Uncle Eugene.  My middle name is Eugene in honor of him and while growing up, I frequently hid the fact that this was my middle name (kids being kids, would tease me about my middle name), as I matured and learn about the man that I share a name with, I find myself proud of the moniker.
Senior Picture
Eugene was the older brother of my mother Carol, and the fourth child of six.  Born August 9th 1920 to Harry and Grace Kessler in Bethlehem PA.  By virtue of this birth, he was destined to work for the one time great Bethlehem Steel.  Both his father and older brother Don worked at Bethlehem Steel.

With the entrance of the U.S. in to World War 2 in 1940, Eugene, age 20, would be eligible for a deferment. Working for a major military supplier would guarantee that. But Eugene, like many men of the time, felt that it was he's patriotic duty to enter the military, and on March 25, 1944, at the age of 23, he enlisted in the US Army and despite being deaf in one ear, was inducted and would be assigned to the 95th "Victory" Infantry Division, 377th Infantry Regiment, Co. C.

Induction- March 25, 1944
His induction and basic training would take place in New Cumberland, PA at the Indiantown Gap military reservation.  There he would receive training as a rifleman.  He would also train in the mountains of West Virginia, where Combat Team Seven (the 377th) would learn to climb mountains and rappel.  No doubt in full gear and battle ready.


On June 21st, training abruptly halted.  The men were transported back to Indiantown Gap to await further orders and rumors flourished about overseas deployment.  The next day, the commander of the 377th, Col. Fred Gaillard, gave the word, the 377th was restricted in their movements, mail censored and Article of War 28 (concerning desertion in time of war) was read to the men and certified by all officers and men.  One month later, the men were saying their good byes and getting what could be their last kisses from their wives and sweethearts. They were going overseas. (Next, Shipping Out)
377th march in review

No comments:

Post a Comment